The Winchester Gaming Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Realism in DayZ

3 posters

Go down

Realism in DayZ Empty Realism in DayZ

Post by dcwalker30 Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 pm

One thing I love about DayZ is how immersed I can get in the gameplay. There are moments that I find myself so caught up in what's going on that I have to remind myself to breath and shake the tension from my shoulders. As I fell asleep last night, I was thinking about things that could add a layer of realism to DayZ and particularly your map. I'll list them out. Some may or may not be able to be done, but they're just ideas.

1. Not enough broken down cars. In a zombie apocalypse we can only assume that it would happen slowly enough at first that many people would have time to try and flee their homes. Do you have the ability to add more totaled (non-fixable) vehicle shells to the map? I think the major roads heading into and out of the major cities (Cherno, Elektro, Berezino) would be clogged with broken down cars. This would add a sense of realism as well as providing a little more cover heading into and out of big towns.
1.a. Can you add loot pile spawns to the map? If you can add car shells and loot piles, it would be neat to have the occasional loot pile near those broken down cars. In a real scenario, there might be some cars that would still have usable items in them. These loot piles would be the same loot table as the Supermarket.

2. Day/Night cycle. I know, I know, 24/7 Daytime is so much fun and you don't have to mess around with NVGs, but we're really missing out on the excitement of playing at night! Is there a way to customize the day/night cycle? Like maybe 5 hrs of day, 1 of night? Maybe at server restart, the timer could start earlier in the morning? Like instead of 10am it could be 3am? I know you removed NVGs from the loot tables in order to catch hackers, but if we whitelist, could we consider putting NVGs back in and allowing for at least some nighttime action?

3. I mentioned this in another post, but it would be more realistic if vehicles that display a spare tire would have a Wheel in their Gear at spawn.

If I think of more, I'll add them here. I'd love to see the realism turned up to 11!
dcwalker30
dcwalker30

Back to top Go down

Realism in DayZ Empty Re: Realism in DayZ

Post by dcwalker30 Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm

I forgot to mention that you're doing a great job. We love the server. This isn't criticism, just ideas I had while falling asleep that might make the server unique and more "real"

Also, I think everyone should spawn with 2000 less blood than they logged out with.
dcwalker30
dcwalker30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaotic Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 pm

number 1: I can cover the vehicle shells, I've actually been contemplating putting more vehicle shells in on the main roads and stuff.

number 2: Once we're whitelisted and have some popularity, I'll be posting polls here on the forum asking what people would like.

number 3: I'm working on that once I'm done the whitelisting.

Thanks for the input Smile we always are looking to better the server for everyone.

P.s GNOOOOO I NEED 2000 BLOOD GNOOOOOO
Kaotic
Kaotic
Admin

https://thewinchester.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dcwalker30 Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 pm

In reply to your reply to #1 ... That's awesome. I always thought it should be practically impossible to drive a car into the major cities. They should be pretty clogged with traffic (at least the major roads). How about the loot piles? Would that be possible? I was reminded of The Walking Dead when they're on the highway outside of Atlanta, looking for supplies in cars.

Best Server Admin EVAR!
dcwalker30
dcwalker30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaotic Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm not sure what I can do about loot piles, that's why I kinda kept it out of there. I really have no idea what's supposed to be done for loot piles as it's something I haven't tinkered with Razz
Kaotic
Kaotic
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BaungCDXX Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

I dislike the idea of chat channels.

IMO, there should be 3.

whisper, normal, yell, each with a corresponding radius that can be heard be either zombies or players.

Side Chat should be a player option, through TS, skype, or whatever, and even then..kind of unfair....at least without:

Spawned Walkie-Talkies/Ham Radios! I hate when people complain "Don't talk in side chat!" Such an item would make global speech optional, but not dependent on a third party program.

I haven't seen otherwise, but some buildings, should need to be cleared of zombies. I could be wrong, but I always run into a building knowing I'll be perfectly "safe". At least having the potential for a few inside would make looting and taking over a building a little bit more satisfying.

I wanna grow stuff! It would probably be incredibly tedious, but it should be within the realm of possibility that enough players can form an in-game community, settle into a compound, and "rebuild" civilization. Over a fairly long period of time, a server could easily have well defined groups, and further incentive to play as a good guy, or a bad guy. Or even just warring factions in a perpetual post-apoc cold war.

Yeah, I know these are just wild ideas, and pipe dreams...I thought this was just a "what if" thread Razz

Last edited by BaungCDXX on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

BaungCDXX

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaotic Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Baung, those are all things that are out of my hands.

I prefer sidechat because it allows me to see what's happening on the server, who needs help, who is lying to who, if there is a hacker, etc...

I don't like voice over side because then you have to start muting players and voice over side gets annoying when you get to 5 people having an argument on side. The rest of the chat channels (which can be switched via the . and , buttons provide different radii of audible length). so vehicle chat only appears in and barely around the vehicles, etc...

Not to be rude but just trying to answer what you've written, what you want is for me to remake the game haha, this would be something that you should bring up to Rocket and the rest of the devs on the dayZ team. Although I do like most of your ideas Smile
Kaotic
Kaotic
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BaungCDXX Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Yeah. I knew that right away...

Realistically though..there is nothing you can do about zombie spawns in a building? That one seemed to be the most attainable, from my limited perspective

BaungCDXX

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaotic Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm

nope nothing really I can do about that either :/
Kaotic
Kaotic
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dcwalker30 Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Baung, what you're looking for is a game in development called "State of Decay" ... Google it because I can't post links yet.

It's got zombies in buildings as well as the development of camps (including things like gardens for growing food.) Of course the DayZ Standalone could have all that and then some, but we sure haven't heard much about it yet. I can only assume the Standalone will be a less buggy version of the mod. But you should keep an eye on State of Decay!
dcwalker30
dcwalker30

Back to top Go down

Post by dcwalker30 Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:41 pm

[Edited for making no sense.]

Last edited by dcwalker30 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcwalker30
dcwalker30

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaotic Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Even if I took care of that, it wouldn't make sense. Depending on the bullets you use, you have to change the way you fire. I believe the SD rounds in non-sd guns still actually have more bullet drop/less intensity over their regular counterparts.
Kaotic
Kaotic
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down